Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Baba Ghanoush

Eggplant?  Ewwww.  Or so I thought.  So far everything I have made in Well Fed has been delicious so I thought I'd give the baba ghanoush a try.  Well, I'm glad I did because it is delicious!  AND I got to use my favorite appliance, my handheld stick blender. 


Baba Ghanoush
makes about 2.5 cups

2 pounds globe eggplant (about 2)
1/4 cup tahini
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
optional garnishes: extra-virgin olive oil, minced fresh parsley, toasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.  Poke both eggplants a few times with a fork and place on the baking sheet.  Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the eggplants are soft.  Allow to cool.
Place the tahini, salt, lemon juice, garlic, chili powder, and cumin in the bowl of a food processor.  Scoop the roasted eggplant pulp out of the skin and place in colander to drain extra moisture for a few minutes.  Place it in the food processor with the rest of the ingredients and puree to your desired consistency. 
Spread the baba ghanoush on a plate or in a shallow bowl and drizzle with olive oil, parsley, and sesame seeds.  Serve with raw veggies and olives.  Tastes best at room temperature, but should be stored in the fridge.

1 comment: